To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

At 06:32 6/29/2007 -0400, Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:
Hi Debbie,

First, welcome to the GA mailing list. As a newcomer, your interest and participation in this forum is encouraging. It is a positive sign that ICANN issues and the need for ICANN reform are reaching a broader audience. Collectively, with your support and that of other interested observers, we can make a difference.

For the record - Debbie is on the list since December 2006, not quite a newcomer.
Second, and more important, ICANN issues have reached broader audience for quite a while - and certainly this list is not the broader audience, bur rather the narrow one.

By definition, developing countries are poor, having widespread poverty, sickness, illiteracy and non-industrialized resources. Most areas of developing countries lack modern basics, such as electricity and running water, things that most people in industrialized countries take for granted. These countries need to address the basics and become industrialized nations before they can truly enter the digital age. Not following that path would be analogous to teaching calculus to a 6-year old child who lacks even rudimentary knowledge of simple math. It is overly simplistic and idealistic to think that by introducing developing countries to the Internet, we can wave a magic wand and eradicate their problems. Our position remains that it is a waste of money and effort to prioritize funding of ICANN participants from developing nations over those from industrialized nations.

Who else besides you is included in this "our position"?

Thank you for this lovely statement of supporting the position that this list consists of people who have business interest in ICANN and don't want to see normal registrants and people from developing countries included in the ICANN work. Thanks God, there are other people in the US/Canada and the rest of the West countries, who don't think like you.

veni