Re: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 06:32:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Debbie,

First, welcome to the GA mailing list. As a newcomer, your interest and participation in this forum is encouraging. It is a positive sign that ICANN issues and the need for ICANN reform are reaching a broader audience. Collectively, with your support and that of other interested observers, we can make a difference.

There is no doubt that Ginger is an intelligent woman. However in our opinion, describing her an "ideal" candidate for the fellowship program is stretching the realm of reality. By her own admission, she does not have a strong technical background and focuses on social issues and human rights. While those are certainly important areas that need to be addressed in the modern global environment, you should realize that ICANN is not the United Nations. Diplomacy, social issues and human rights are outside the scope of ICANN's mission and authority of ensuring the stability of the DNS. http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#I With that being said, there are many people who are much more qualified and deserving than Ginger, who have been denied ICANN travel funding.

To be a leader, an individual must possess both knowledge and an ability to influence others. Given that Ginger is not well versed in technical issues, it is axiomatic that she can only assume a role as a follower and not a leader, as it applies to ICANN issues. One would also have to seriously question the technical qualifications of other individuals from developing countries.

By definition, developing countries are poor, having widespread poverty, sickness, illiteracy and non-industrialized resources. Most areas of developing countries lack modern basics, such as electricity and running water, things that most people in industrialized countries take for granted. These countries need to address the basics and become industrialized nations before they can truly enter the digital age. Not following that path would be analogous to teaching calculus to a 6-year old child who lacks even rudimentary knowledge of simple math. It is overly simplistic and idealistic to think that by introducing developing countries to the Internet, we can wave a magic wand and eradicate their problems. Our position remains that it is a waste of money and effort to prioritize funding of ICANN participants from developing nations over those from industrialized nations.

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.
http://www.ProphetPartners.com