Re: [ga] The news at the Lisbon meeting

  • To: Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The news at the Lisbon meeting
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Dominik,

I participated remotely, but the most important
strategic paths signalled by the PSC in my opinion
were:

(1) changing ICANN's legal status to that of an
international nongovernmental organization
(structurally akin to the International Red Cross)...
this does, however, raise accountability issues)
(2) hinting at granting Supporting Organizations the
right to elect a majority of the ICANN Board.
(3) a focus on contingency planning (even though their
comments related to the ENAM, such planning would
probably call for the establishment of both registry
and registrar failover plans)

Personally, I think that the PSC is off-track with
respect to capacity building -- it strikes me as an
activity more appropriate for ISOC and the ITU than
for ICANN.

Regards,
Danny

http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon/transcript-psc-28mar07.htm.

> Anyway, I would like someone having taken part at
> the meeting to collect
> some additional (preliminary) ideas/results achieved
> or addressed at the
> meeting to keep us better informed; namely, as
> regards
>
> - brader stakeholder participation
> - constituency reorganization
> - possible change of the voting model
> - domain tasting
> - overall policy & transparency improvement
>
> Would you please Danny, Roberto (and some others)
> share your impressions
> from the meeting with us?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dominik