RE: [ga] Notification of Self Organization

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Notification of Self Organization
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

--- Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I admire your bright thoughts but the main problem is that business
> interests at ICANN are spread out into several constituencies with
> voting membership, whereas we do have only ONE non-com constituency
> for
> both non-com registrants and non-com non-registrants. You've got it?
>
> If you now compare the number of registrants & users with business
> companies we should then have at least 5 registrant-oriented
> constituencies.
>
> Just my two ounces along the line...

I don't disagree with you. The LSE report is supposed to address that,
reducing the overall number of constituencies to 3
"superconstituences". See:

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-15sep06.htm

If we had to reduce the number of constituencies immediately, I'd
suggest we start by eliminating the registry constituency (sorry
Chuck). :)  If registries were simply considered suppliers who undergo
a tendering process from time to time (e.g. just like ICANN picks a
cleaning company via tender for fixed-length contracts to clean its
offices and toilets), then ICANN would be more reflective of the public
interest.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/