Re: [ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, bortzmeyer@xxxxxx, roberto@xxxxxxxxx, sebastien.bachollet@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: is ICANN or is ICANN not?
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:47:33 +0100
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 11:41 31/01/2007, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
Roberto,
Let us to be fair, it helps.

Elisabeth,
you are fully right. However, if we dig into the past we will find many misunderstandings. Also, people changed, and mutual awareness developed. I have proposed Roberto a meeting on the issue, possibly within the EGENI framework, with all the concerned parties. You would obviously be one of them.

The important issue is that Internet practices do not diverge from the International Standards and there is a single place to decide the same thing. Stephane questions to know if ISO knows the Internet. ISO has made ICANN a member of the 3166 MA and wanders if ICANN knows who is relying on ISO 3166. This is why I lobby for ICANN to be replaced there by an IGF representative (I have no opposition that ICANN could be it, should ICANN and the USA start seriously participating to the IGF/WSIS process)

I have obtained that RFC 4646 creates an ietf-languages@xxxxxxxx mailing list, everyone could attend, and repeatedly proposed that it would have three or four co-reviewers (as suggested by its author from Google); proposing the IANA LSERegistries author (Doug Ewell), the ISO 15924 author (scripts, Michael Everson) and an ISO 3166 MA delegate or its chair. The issue is more complex with ISO 639 (languages) as there is obviously a debate where the US and French positions tend now to be very similar, and disagreeing with the current confusion of the ISO TC37 over the desire to standardise the languages themselves, rather than their names. This RFC 4646 tendency develops the same regarding the country names where they prefer to speak of 'regions' the government of which is a detail, in obvious conflict with the WSIS resolutions.

Anyway, for the time being the IESG violates RFC 4646 and maintains in operation the RFC 3066 patch: ietf-languages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Of which I have been banned by his Google owner because I explained that it was not because they refused to acknowledge "en-EU" (Eurospeak) that Brussels and Europe will not use it. You measure the worldwide impact and the "en-US" advantage of denying the first economical language of the world on the Internet.

These kind of tension is exactly what we want to avoid.

IRT ".su", the historical ".suhh" domain is here to support the USSR Internet archives. If some need a more generic name, ICANN can create ".cei". The US ICANN mercantilism is well exposed by the http://kgb.su page. To permit that, when you think of the gulag and of the millions of dead! Why not http://shoah.ss ?

> The ISO MA had no clue of what were the potential problems downstream due to
> the usage of the standard. Then they decided to have ICANN onboard for this
> very reason.

The ICANN was well aware of using ISO 3166-1 2-letters standard, but had
no clue that they have to communicate with ISO 3166/MA to take care of
a standard they are relying upon.

Eventually ICANN woke up, and accepted to join the ISO 3166/MA (and spent
3 years not participating in any ISO 3166/MA debate or meeting; the very
first ICANN's deleguee to ISO 3166/MA showed up last August).

Correct.

> I think that ISO learned the lesson.

I do hope that ICANN learned the lesson as well.

Let say that we all learned the lesson. But that most did not see - or still do not see - the next source of conflict and instability, the illegal ietf-languages@xxxxxxxxxxxxx continuation and its Unicode consortium control over the IANA LSERegistries, nor the Google's control on cultures and IANA's future through the langtags libraries of Mark Davis and RFC 4647. This is why I am impatient to know who will be the next IETF Chair and IESG Members. This may very well decide of the Internet split, to preserve the stability of the non US commercial world digital ecosystem. We actually are in a political situation very similar to the Global Warming.

Cheers.
jfc