RE: [ga] Vote on representation first

  • To: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Vote on representation first
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:39:39 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, some ideas...

a) Firstly, Joop, I would postpone the voting until the subject gets
more clarified, otherwise we are taking a risk the first voting will end
up with fiasco, which would be a pity.

b) Ehm, I would personally remove the comment block out of the booth. I
have to agree with Eric that all discussion should be concentrated
solely on the GA forum. I've found some interesting posts there I would
rather prefer to have on the GA.

c) At the moment I wouldn't go into a too detailed specification of what
the chair/co-chair are expected to be. On the booth page you distinguish
between the GA chair and the GA representative roles, stating the GA
chair is responsible for leading and formalizing debate, whereas the GA
representative is expected be in touch with the ICANN board, or even on
the board. I, personally, would want both roles to go together. To be
more realistic, I would start with a leadership in terms of leading
debate and trying to find a way how to get heard by ICANN officials.
Anyway, all that is a long-term run, so we needn't be hurry. Later on,
the chair and/or the co-chair role should also aspire for the board
membership (however unbelievably and naively this sounds today). Maybe
at that point, the two roles could split.

In summary the rights & responsibilities of the two roles could be
(equal for now) to

- lead and formalize debate
- open issues (on members' behalf)
- propose/define time frames for discussions (together with the members)
and voting
- abide by the voting results in connection with the outside
presentation
- represent the GA and to try gaining ICANN's attention (??)

The cooperation should be informal, open and friendly, however, the
members should respect chair/co-chair decisions in terms of the
forementioned points. On the other hand, the chair/co-chair should be
willing to attend official ICANN events in perspective, at least,
occasionally.

d) With this in mind I would formulate a simple question

Do you want the GA be led by representative?

1. Yes, I want two official representatives (chair/co-chair) having
   the full status (as mentioned above).
2. Yes, I want one official representative (chair) having the full
   status (as mentioned above).
3. Yes, I want one informal representative just for leading debates.
4. No, thank you.

all formulated in proper English, of course.

e) Voting rules
1. Voting on a given issue is valid when half + 1 of all members
subscribed to the GA list voted.
2. The choice gaining the majority of all voices wins.

... maybe too much information at once but take it as a raw material for
further discussion...

cheers

Dominik