Re: [ga] scammers using whois privacy

Answers below under yours Karl.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] scammers using whois privacy

> kidsearch wrote:
>> I can list several reasons and have listed them why the whois
>> information is a good thing for consumers, but haven't seen a list of
>> good reasons why it should be hidden.
>
> One word: Privacy.

Privacy for individuals who fear reprisal for political opinions or those who run nonprofit websites, among other examples are ones I agree with. If you sell a product or service on the web, why do you feel you should have privacy?

> Each person deserves the right to control his or her own life.

I'm not really thinking that having whois remain public takes control of that person's life away. Sounds a bit dramatic.

> People are more important than business.

Here we agree. People have the right to know who the business is that is asking for their credit card number. The consumer's right supercedes the right of the business owner here. Glad we agree.

> It is far more important for people to be able to learn what is behind a
> business than it is for a business to learn about a person's private life.

Totally agree and only advocate public information be available for online businesses who accept money through their website.

> Ask any women who has been stalked by someone using whois data.  Ask any
> person who is afraid to write about an illness because they are afraid
> of losing anonymity.  Ask any person who is willing to speak about an
> unpopular subject as long as they can do so without being identified.

Ask any person who has had their money ripped off by unscrupulous website owners who hide their information to avoid anyone knowing who to sue or who to report for fraud and theft.

> If there is one thing in ICANN land, however, that does not deserve
> privacy it is the discussions and meetings of ICANN's board of
> directors, particularly as they decide to sacrifice our personal privacy
> on the trademark alter.

Oh, here we more than agree Karl.