Re: [ga] scammers using whois privacy

kidsearch wrote:
I can list several reasons and have listed them why the whois information is a good thing for consumers, but haven't seen a list of good reasons why it should be hidden.

One word: Privacy.

Each person deserves the right to control his or her own life.

People are more important than business.

It is far more important for people to be able to learn what is behind a business than it is for a business to learn about a person's private life.

Ask any women who has been stalked by someone using whois data. Ask any person who is afraid to write about an illness because they are afraid of losing anonymity. Ask any person who is willing to speak about an unpopular subject as long as they can do so without being identified.

If there is one thing in ICANN land, however, that does not deserve privacy it is the discussions and meetings of ICANN's board of directors, particularly as they decide to sacrifice our personal privacy on the trademark alter.

		--karl--