RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, vint@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jeff,

I forgot to comment on another item:

--- "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Although you insinuate that we could raise prices, do you honestly
> believe that we could really get away with raising prices and not
> suffer
> a huge loss in the demand for our services?  We operate in a real
> economic market and not in a theoretical hypothetical world.  In
> other
> words, do you really think .BIZ could get away with raising prices
> above
> that for a .com domain name and survive?  We do not.  We believe that
> if
> we were to raise prices without a corresponding increase in .com
> prices,
> registrants would switch from .BIZ to .com or .net in a heartbeat.

If you actually believe what you just wrote above, that in the "real
world" you are unable to raise prices above .com, then that means it
costs you nothing to agree to caps of some sort, instead of having the
power to raise prices to infinity on a domain by domain basis.

What you said above is that there is no economic value to you to have
the ability to raise prices above .com. Thus, you will have no problems
agreeing to the same caps as .com. Do you agree to have the identical
price caps as .com? Why do you need unlimited pricing freedom, if you
would never use that power?

I have cc'd the General Counsel and Chairman of ICANN, who I'm sure
stand ready to amend the contract to remove items from the contract
that you say have no value "in the real world", and presumably don't
mind losing. This will make the contract more palatable to the rest of
us.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/