RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] The Future of Domain Registry Pricing, if left uncapped
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:53:47 -0400
  • Cc: <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

George,

My point in the full e-mail I sent out (which you only copied a snippet
of in this one) is that we are constrained in the current market place
because 1 registry operator controls 85% of the market and effectively
sets the price for the unsponsored gTLD market.  If we were to charge
significantly more for a .BIZ domain name as you insinuated with your
example (which you also deleted from your response to me), we believe
people would choose not to register or renew .BIZ domain names.

In our conversations and negotiations with ICANN staff over the last
several years, it was our understanding that ICANN wanted to get out of
the price regulation business and let the market determine pricing.  An
example of ICANN's intent to allow registry operators and the market
conditions to determine price are the sTLD Agreements for .travel,
.mobi, .asia, .tel, .cat, etc.  Some of these new TLDs could easily
become the size of .biz or greater.

The only reason that caps were included in the .com and .net agreements
were because 1 operator controlled 85% of the market and without
limitations could unreasonably inflate the market pricing.  With less
than 2% of the market, we have no ability to affect the overall market
price for gTLD domain names.  That said, we fail to see why any specific
or arbitrary price caps would be needed for .BIZ which has such a small
market share.

P.S. In the future, please do not copy people outside of the GA list on
your e-mails.  Particularly if you are only going to copy a snippet of a
prior e-mail thereby eliminating all of the context in which the
previous statement was made.  It can be misleading to do so.

Thanks.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.