Re: [ga] I find it amazing.

  • To: "Jeff Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hugh Dierker" <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] I find it amazing.
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:02:00 -0500
  • Cc: "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kathy Smith" <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "icann board address" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What is actually utter nonsense is that current holders of a .com domain
name thinking that they deserve their name again in every new TLD that is
created. Trademark holders seem to never read about what a trademark is and
instead believe they actually OWN the string of letters they register for
their mark.

All trademark holders get is the right to use that string of letters to
market a specific category of product and in many cases it is only a right
to do so in a specific geographical region.

Many strings of letters are registered over and over again to market
products in different categories, such as Apple Records and Apple Computers.
Neither of them are entitled to apple dot everything that might be created
and the idea of sunrise protection is ridiculous. ICANN continues to help
foster this invalid assumption on behalf of IP interests and needs to stop.

Chris McElroy
http://www.articlecontentprovider.com