Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems

> And if the DoC doesn't oversee ICANN, who oversees the Internet as much as
> anyone ever will, which branch of government does? You gloss over the fact
> that the Internet was placed under the control of the department of
> commerce
> simply because it backs up what I said about the Internet being a tool of
> commerce.

>From the DOC's web site (please pay particular attention to sub section F):
http://204.193.232.34/cgi-bin/doit.cgi?204:112:ca6ff65e72b6f38e4fe42ea2ba9cf9358ad6df26eae063a68a6e8f420a9ac897:245

-----
SECTION 2. MISSION, FUNCTIONS AND AUTHORITY.

.01 The historic mission of the Department is &#8220;to foster, promote,
and develop the foreign and domestic commerce&#8221; of the United States.
This has evolved, as a result of legislative and administrative additions,
to encompass broadly the responsibility to foster, serve, and promote the
Nationʼs economic development and technological advancement. The
Department fulfills this mission by:

a. Participating with other Government agencies in the creation of
national policy, through the Presidentʼs Cabinet and its subdivisions.

b. Promoting and assisting international trade.

c. Strengthening the international economic position of the United States.

d. Promoting progressive domestic business policies and growth.

e. Improving comprehension and uses of the physical environment and its
oceanic life.

f. Ensuring effective use and growth of the Nationʼs scientific and
technical resources.

g. Acquiring, analyzing, and disseminating information regarding the
Nation and the economy to help achieve increased social and economic
benefit.

h. Assisting states, communities, and individuals with economic progress.
-----

The DOC is charged with "ensuring effective use and growth of the Nationʼs
scientific and technical resources"; so I guess that answers your question
as to why the DOC is involved and in what capacity.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos