Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems

  • To: <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:51:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sotiris said "The DNS is not simply a commercial affair, Karl, stop treating
it as one." and "The Internet's wild west days have come and gone."

Unfortunately, the days when the Internet was not a commercial affair have
come and gone. The ideal of an instrument to exchange ideas freely and to
promote causes that were educational and not for profit is barely visible
anymore. What we have here is a new media, like when radio was new, then
television. Except, the Internet doesn't have the same defined boundaries.

There are still people who use the Internet as it was conceived, but they
are far in the minority. The majority of interest in the Internet is toward
sex, shopping, sex, listening to music, sex, and advertising. If those are
not commercial affairs, then you need to explain it to me.

Notice, I run a nonprofit, but yet I am advertising my websites in my sig
line. My commercial websites get advertised that way all the time. Almost
everyone has a commercial interest in the Internet. I don't see how treating
it any other way will help when ICANN, WIPO, and all the big corporations
are treating it that way. It's run by the Department of "Commerce", which by
it's very nature means the primary concern is commercial.

Chris McElroy, President,
Kidsearch Network
http://www.KidsearchNetwork.org
http://www.MissingChildrenBlog.com