Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:22:12 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re:  "If a TLD fails, why should ICANN do anything
about it?"

ICANN Board member Mike Palage, in his Registry
Failure White Paper writes:

"One of the important aspects to be considered in
connection with a gTLD registry failure is in the
impact on Internet stakeholders, most importantly
domain name registrants
within that TLD. Article 1 of the ICANN bylaws clearly
establish it?s role as a technical coordinating body,
and not a consumer protection agency.  Notwithstanding
these limitations, there are times in which policy
development reasonably and appropriately
related to these technical functions can intersect
with consumer protection, i.e. redemption grace
period, UDRP, etc."
http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtld-questions/pdfD95Qf6rJO1.pdf

One of the goals laid out in the White Paper was to
"provide accountability to and protection for the
international Internet community".

I believe that ICANN, in its limited technical role,
can and should as a matter of policy offer protections
whenever possible.  It already extends protections to
trademark holders, it is contemplating additional
protections for IGOs, and has already provided the
basis for certain protections for registrants by way
of escrow provisioning requirements and domain
portability policies.

I agree with the DOC and the ICANN Board that a
registry failure constitutes a stability issue.
Having a registry failover program in place occasions
no harm.  It is prudent.