Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems

  • To: kidsearch <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Karl's comments at the 2003 Senate hearings on allocation systems
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:32:19 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris writes:  "A bunch of people sitting on the ICANN
BoD with dubious business acumen deciding whether or
not my business
plan is valid doesn't interest me at all."

Having noted the failure of the .pro business plan (we
are now into our second registry management group),
and the failure of .name to get off the ground, I
agree with Chris that ICANN lacks the competency to
evaluate business plans.

On the other hand, I'm not willing to take the
cavalier attitude that if a registry fails it's not a
big deal (as invariably it's the registrants that will
be affected).

That said, I would be comfortable passing on the
business plan examination if I has assurances that
ICANN had developed a registry failover program.

My policy recommendation:  To expedite the launch of
new gTLDs ICANN should eliminate registry financial
considerations as a selection criterion; to safeguard
the public interest ICANN should create a registry
failover program.