[ga] A TLD for Trademarks

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:20:46 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Interesting.  In support of a TLD for trademarks --
>From Frederic Wallenberg's "Short Paper 2":

Excerpt:  "I will first describe my general solution
to the issue at hand and will thereafter look at
special considerations for famous marks. My solution
relies on four changes. First I will propose a change
to the domain name system to accommodate all trademark
holders. For this change to be useful, we need to make
changes to the domain name server infrastructure and
change some functionality in the browsers used by web
users. This change in turn will require some change in
user behavior to be effective. While the solution
isn?t without cost, it does have the opportunity to
solve the problem we?re currently facing.

Changes to the Domain Name structure

The main idea is to allow all legitimate trademark
holders (under any legal regime) to secure their
trademark as a second level domain. To facilitate this
on a worldwide basis, it would be desirable to have
one unique TLD for trademarks."

http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~fredrik/courses/cyberlaw/A%20New%20DNS.pdf