[ga] gTLDs and the heretofore flawed ICANN paradigm

All,

What is wrong with the current and past gTLD introduction, management and
oversight processes?

The current ICANN paradigm is nothing more than a short-sighted licensing
schema which provides licensees (both registries and registrars) with a
license to 'print money' in the form of residual registration and related
service(s) income(s) in perpetuity.  What is required is nothing less than
a reevaluation of all heretofore processes and policy vis a vis domain
names.  It is still possible to establish a DNS built for the ages based
on a long-term perspective, as opposed to the current short-term gain
models that have already been implemented and are continuing to be
proposed.

To liken domain names to telephone numbers (as many people in ICANN do) is
a seriously flawed approach.  Domain names are NOT similar to telephone
numbers.  A more fruitful, indeed more appropriate, analogy would be to
consider gTLDs (and all TLDs) as being similar to area codes.  It requires
little imagination to conceptualize what would happen to/within the ITU
and its structures if they were to start arbitrarily introducing a whole
slew of new area codes simply because each of their 'licensees' (for lack
of a better term) wished to do so in the name of "innovation" and the
prospect of tuening a few bucks.

I would be happy to expound upon my solution to the current problems but
that would require much time and energy on my behalf.  I cannot do so
without recompense because the effort to produce such a model would
detract from my livelihood.  However, I do have a unified approach in mind
and would be willing to help the ICANN administration out of their current
difficulties by providing a set of viable and imaginative solutions.

In short, I have spent a good deal of time studying the problem and I know
how to fix it.  If anyone at ICANN is really interested in a long-term
solution they can contact me.

Amiably,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos