Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Agreed fully here Karl!

However as you know, some participants on this forum are interested
is self aggrandizement more than they are about substance and practice
of the DNS..  Some people/participants on this forum have axes to grind.
Some people on this forum are more interested in semantically
arguments than what ICANN's original function really is.  Our
government has a few times exercised it's authority with ICANN
regarding it's authority such as with WLS and .xxx.  Yet it seems
content to allow ICANN to dig it's own grave as to expanding
its role.  This is dangerous for many reasons that have been stated
by myself, yourself, and many others, yet such expansion of ICANN's
role seems to attract those wishing for recognition and representation
that have neither the technical or diplomatic background for that
which they seek.

The ICANN BoD and staff seem to continue to seek to impose
regulation beyond the scope of their contract with DOC/NTIA
as you rightly point out.  Yet it is an international BoD and staff,
with varying interests that appear to have motivations of social
engineering by way of the the DNS.  This is a bad and perhaps
dangerous encroachment upon various countries civil liberties,
or lack there of, and therefore creates a atmosphere for
contention indefinitely.  Such is not a good thing, IMHO.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > The Staff Report described one of these mechanisms as
> > follows: "On-going programs where baseline criteria
> > for the establishment of new gTLDs are published and
> > maintained.
> > Applicants can, at any time, apply for a new gTLD. If
> > the applicant meets the criteria, they will enter
> > negotiations to execute an agreement that provides for
> > the establishment of a new gTLD registry."
>
> Why the ^%!~ should there be "negotiations"?  From the point of view of
> ICANN all TLD operators should meet the same terms/conditions.
>
> However, those terms and conditions should not concern themselves one whit
> about business practices, products, prices, and other materials not
> clearly of direct relationship to the technical ability of the operator to
> provide a working set of TLD name servers.
>
> Whether they use a registrar tier, whether they publish whois, whether
> they offer registrations for one month or 500 years, all of that is
> irrelevant to ICANN's purpose and must not be among the terms/conditions.
>
> As I said, the only obligations must be those that are clearly and
> demonstrably directly related to the technical ability of the TLD to
> answer DNS queries.
>
>                 --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827