Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:47:59 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, what a wonderful world it would be.

  Motivations for increaseing a sphere of influence or mission statement are much older than Ceasar and even the Greeks cannot lay claim to the original, nor those surrounding the great Kahns. Perhaps the Pharisees were best at it or those attached to the Czars.

  When two bodies (agency/corp/committee) do not overlap within their Jurisdictions we consider this good. No turf wars and a single voice. However when forces create a large gap between bodies and a void forms in that gap, something must cover that space.
  The technology is not governed (ha ha) but the social impacts and legal ramifications are not governed either. Whois, pricing, porn, all are basically operating in a void of governance. Who better to cover that void than ICANN?

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Danny Younger wrote:

> The Staff Report described one of these mechanisms as
> follows: "On-going programs where baseline criteria
> for the establishment of new gTLDs are published and
> maintained.
> Applicants can, at any time, apply for a new gTLD. If
> the applicant meets the criteria, they will enter
> negotiations to execute an agreement that provides for
> the establishment of a new gTLD registry."

Why the ^%!~ should there be "negotiations"? From the point of view of
ICANN all TLD operators should meet the same terms/conditions.

However, those terms and conditions should not concern themselves one whit
about business practices, products, prices, and other materials not
clearly of direct relationship to the technical ability of the operator to
provide a working set of TLD name servers.

Whether they use a registrar tier, whether they publish whois, whether
they offer registrations for one month or 500 years, all of that is
irrelevant to ICANN's purpose and must not be among the terms/conditions.

As I said, the only obligations must be those that are clearly and
demonstrably directly related to the technical ability of the TLD to
answer DNS queries.

--karl--

Yahoo! Shopping