Re: [ga] New TLDs PDP: Synopsis of Week One

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New TLDs PDP: Synopsis of Week One
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:55:27 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

I think you left out one of the most important and once hotly contested
TLD's, .WEB.

Secondly listing any specific TLD's in this discussion sends a signal
that those listed are of paramount interest and importance to the
subscribers of this list forum and any the  interested party not
currently participating on this list forum.  Nothing could be further
from being accurate.

Danny Younger wrote:

> My brief synopsis.  Please let me know if any of you
> find the comments below to be off the mark...
>
> The objective of the first week of discussions was to
> deal with the first point in the GNSO new TLDs PDP
> Terms of Reference -- ?assess whether there is
> sufficient support within the Internet community to
> enable the introduction of new top level domains?,
> namely, ?Should new generic top level domain names be
> introduced??  We have concluded that there is
> sufficient support.
>
> We point to the following:
>
> ?Interest in a namespace for the European gypsy
> community (.roma)
> ?Interest in a namespace for municipalities (such as
> .berlin or .nyc)
> ?Interest in a namespace for children (.kids, .child)
> ?Interest in a namespace for non-profits (.npo)
> ?Interest in a namespace for news (.news)
> ?Interest in regional namespaces (.africa)
> ?Interest in internationalized domain names (.IDN)
> ?Interest in business-driven domains (.inc, .corp,
> .llc, etc.)
> ?Interest stemming from the profit motive
> ?The interest of those proponents whose applications
> from the first TLD selection round are still pending
> ?A recognition that the expected doubling of domain
> name registrations within the next three years (as
> cited in the Staff Issues Paper) will further
> aggravate the scarcity of ?good names? and will prompt
> even more demands for an enhanced namespace
> ?A support for innovation in the namespace which would
> accompany the introduction of new TLDs

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827