Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man

  • To: "Dr. Eric Dierker" <ericdierker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: On new TLDs/The poor poor man
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:45:28 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Again I must agree with Dr. Dierkers general assessment here.  However,
his "Deeper question" does not yet quite go deep enough to be effective.

Isn't it true that not that long ago ICANN could not even fund the IANA?

Yet the IANA was supposed to be funded by ICANN.  Isn't it true
that Global Crossing, was unable to manage it's network effectively
because it's management team were basically crooks?  Yet they did
qualify for a number of bonds, sold public stock, and were listed as
a good credit risk?  Isn't it true that World com/con, Vint Cerf's
old company and when he was a executive of that company, convicted
of stock price fraud, due to false reporting of the companies
performance?
Isn't it true that ENRON, not that long ago, was selling electrical
power
over a grid that they did not have control over or much influence
regarding
and lied to the employees as to the value or their 401 retirement
accounts
based largely on ENRON stock value?  Didn't Kenneth Lay and other
ENRON senior executives receive jail sentences for poor accounting
practices, fraud, and misuse of company funds?  Yet ENRON only 4
years ago was touted by a huge majority of Wall Street insiders as one
of the stocks to have in your portfolio, had a wonderful line of credit,

ect., ect., ect.?

So to sum up a bit more precisely here, whether or not at any given
point in time, any organization/corporation or non-profit group has
the financial or expertise where for all, in NO way gives them a better
consideration for running a TLD registry?

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>   Techically and mechanically Karl deals with this issue admirably.
> And Chris is certainly right to ask it. But they beg for a much deeper
> question to be asked.
>   Why should we care that a poor woman own and manage a tld? Better
> yet; Wouldn't it be a good idea to limit ownership of tlds to those
> who can afford to run them properly, bond and insure for errors
> resulting in harm to others, employ and ensure wages to employees,
> afford to update and keep the latest equipment, employ the experts to
> assure compliance in law, civil rights, non-discrimination?
>   It is a slippery slope when we begin a welfare cybersociety and give
> a tld to someone simply because they cannot afford it.

> Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, kidsearch wrote:
>
> > Karl, sorry to be such a pain, but I still don't feel that answers
> my
> > question. What is to keep a few big companies from buying up all the
>
> > good/viable TLDs as soon as the process is available, effectively
> cutting
> > out the "open to everyone" idea?
>
> In a pure auction situation the names would go to those with money.
>
> In an auction modified with a lottery some portion of the names would
> be
> distributed, by random chance, among those who have bought relatively
> inexpensive lottery tickets (e.g. $5).
>
> Yes, lotteries can be manipulated - the rich folks can buy lots of
> tickets
> and thus increase their chances, the rich folks can use strawman to
> hold
> those tickets, the rich folks can buy the rights from the winners,
> etc.
>
> But at least the lottery creates some chance that the big guys won't
> get
> every name.
>
> Besides, if we find that happening we can then adjust to deal with the
>
> concrete situation - like perhaps engaging in a one-time process to
> grant
> a pile of TLDs to non-commercial applicants.
>
> If we try to get a perfect system we will be waiting for new TLDs
> until
> the sun freezes over. We should strive for a system that is adequate,
> not
> one that is perfect.
>
> --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827