[ga] New TLDs PDP: Synopsis of Week One

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] New TLDs PDP: Synopsis of Week One
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:48:21 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My brief synopsis.  Please let me know if any of you
find the comments below to be off the mark...

The objective of the first week of discussions was to
deal with the first point in the GNSO new TLDs PDP
Terms of Reference -- ?assess whether there is
sufficient support within the Internet community to
enable the introduction of new top level domains?,
namely, ?Should new generic top level domain names be
introduced??  We have concluded that there is
sufficient support.

We point to the following:

?Interest in a namespace for the European gypsy
community (.roma)
?Interest in a namespace for municipalities (such as
.berlin or .nyc)
?Interest in a namespace for children (.kids, .child)
?Interest in a namespace for non-profits (.npo)
?Interest in a namespace for news (.news)
?Interest in regional namespaces (.africa)
?Interest in internationalized domain names (.IDN)
?Interest in business-driven domains (.inc, .corp,
.llc, etc.)
?Interest stemming from the profit motive
?The interest of those proponents whose applications
from the first TLD selection round are still pending
?A recognition that the expected doubling of domain
name registrations within the next three years (as
cited in the Staff Issues Paper) will further
aggravate the scarcity of ?good names? and will prompt
even more demands for an enhanced namespace
?A support for innovation in the namespace which would
accompany the introduction of new TLDs