Re: [ga] Individual Users Constituency

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Individual Users Constituency
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:49:57 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joop and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Let us not forget that Joop's IDNO was a farce from the onset.  ICANN
rightly recognized that and rejected the IDNO as representative of
any registrant or Domain Name holder for good ethical reasons.

None the less, the need for representation of individual registrants
OR stakeholders/users is essential.  However the GNSO constituency
model ICANN created to replace the DNSO GA was and remains
fatally flawed.  Such a model in it's present form, cannot by design
effect individual stakeholders as their own representatives.  Hence
the suggestion of such, is non-sequiter.

Yet some form of constituency model that would allow for individual
domain name holders/registrants AND any and all other stakeholders
and/or users is possible.  However such a model as was debated
and heatedly discussed, was not what ICANN had in mind and
as such is not likely to come to pass with the present leadership
within ICANN nor can such a constituency model be created
until or unless at least half of the BoD is elected by any and
all interested stakeholders/users.

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 03:37 p.m. 3/12/2005, Danny  wrote:
> >I agree with Richard regarding the need for an
> >Individual Users Constituency within the GNSO.  The
> >GNSO has not addressed a number of issues that
> >continue to concern me as an individual registrant.
> >One of my ongoing worries pertains to the failure of
> >ICANN to enforce the registrar data escrow provisions
> >contained in the RRA -- our domain names remain at
> >risk, and no one in the GNSO is acting in defense of
> >our interests.  We must take the initiative and
> >establish our own constituency so that such security
> >concerns and other matters of importance to individual
> >users will be properly addressed.
>
> Such a constituency is what Individual Users have asked for since the very
> beginning of ICANN's creation of the DNSO in Singapore.
>
> Was the DNSO itself  dissolved and replaced by the GNSO because its GA had
> voted to ask the Board to consider the IDNO constituency's recognition?
>
> Since then , the DNS user's rights have been reduced to a tenuous kind of
> annual lease, payable on namespace-property that the registrants themselves
> have created.
> Without their input in the process, the registrants' reasonable rights of
> secure ownership have been surrendered to an extremist IP lobby and a
> greedy registration industry.
>
> I support Danny and Richard who are again calling for the recognition of
> a  genuine  Individual DNS Users constituency.
>
> Let us see if the history of arrogant  stonewalling followed by rejection
> by ICANN  repeats itself.
>
> --Joop--
>
> www.icannatlarge.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827