[ga] Whats in a word?

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Whats in a word?
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 06:11:06 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                  Dear concerned,

  When I was just getting started with ICANN a fellow by the name of Peter DeBlanc took me under his wing and mentored me. (on the condition no one know as he was respected and i a firebrand ;;-) We were both centering in on ccTLDs and multilingualism and marketing for the benefit of host countries. He first admonished me straight out; "Know your ICANNESE". Registry, Registrar and Registrant. Govern, consensus, stakeholder, ISP, domain name holder. And when you can't find a term make it up - hence dotcommoner and clipping tails off comets.

  My point is that our electronic media is out in another orbit they use such above terms innapropriately and totally confuse issues. And what i really like to see is Vint playing with them and Verisign just making a laughing stalk of them.

  Read this article and see it you can catch all 10 missused words and phrases.

  http://www.digitalmediaasia.com/default.asp?ArticleID=11710

  WADND sues ICANN, Verisign for monopolisation of domain names

01/12/2005 by Ben Tanner

    Print | Email Colleague | Add Comment | Comments (0)
    The World Association of Domain Name Developers (WADND) has filed an anti-trust suit against the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and Verisign for alleged monopolisation of the '.net' and '.com' top-level domain names.

According to WADND, Verisign and ICANN have entered into an unlawful agreement, under which they have conspired to abuse Verisign's monopoly of '.net' and '.com' registration to raise prices higher than the competitive market would allow.

The agreement in question, the 2005 Registry Agreement, updates the two parties' 2001 Registry Agreement. WADND says the new agreement features the marked absence of language promoting competition which was present in the 2001 agreement.

Additionally, the 2001 agreement set a fixed maximum price for '.net' and '.com' registration at $6 per registration. The 2005 agreement maintains this price ceiling until 31 December 2006, after which Verisign has the ability to raise this ceiling 7 per cent per year, a rate which, according to WADND, far exceeds the rate of inflation.

ICANN is a not-for-profit organisation established in 1998 to govern internet domain registry. Verisign has had exclusive rights to '.net' and '.com' domain name registration since 2001.

WADND is a Florida-based association of domain name registrants which attempts to coordinate efforts of registrants to promote more efficient use of the internet and develop standards of practice among domain name registrants.   Print

 Yahoo! Personals