Re: [ga] Roberto Gaetano on ALAC Reform

Karl Auerbach ha scritto:
I applaud the optimism of you and Vittorio and others who have stuck with the ALAC idea. But it an optimism that I do not share, and which it seems the majority of internet users in North America also do not share.

We've just been having this discussion in person, for over one hour, with Roberto and Milton Muller and other ALAC and NCUC members.

I think that the point is exactly that: in North America you have political approaches, ways of participation, levels of Internet development that are very different from almost every other part of the globe. In Europe, for example, we are much more comfortable with indirect representation, European-level councils where all countries are represented, weighed voting etc.; and the At Large elections did not work at all, being basically reduced to a Germany-only event which led to the election of a person who was very bright and well intentioned, but completely failed to establish any link to his constituents.

I am starting to think that the actual solution of all this could be to reinstate direct At Large elections for North America only - which, if you think at it, is not an impossible task even with the current Bylaws. (The matter of *which positions* you vote for is of course another one - currently, users only get to (s)elect ALAC members, not Board members.)
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...