Re: [ga] Roberto Gaetano on ALAC Reform

"Vittorio Bertola" <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In Europe, for example, we are much more comfortable with
> indirect representation, European-level councils where all countries are
> represented, weighed voting etc

You've got to be joking Vittorio my friend!

Here in Britain the majority dislike "indirect representation" intensely!
The European Union and its related councils is widely rejected in the UK:
that's why no government here has dared to have a referendum on many Euro
issues. The British believe in one person-one vote.

Once you start creating 'layers' between the individual and those people who
purport to represent him/her, you basically distance the individual from the
process, and that's why individuals have lost interest in ALAC.

For example, who voted for you to represent Individual Users inside ICANN's
version of the At Large? Answer: ICANN!

In what sense did I get a say in whether I wanted you, Vittorio, to
represent me? In no sense!

It's true, I have a generally good opinion of you as a person. However,
there is no democracy and no representation involved.

Vittorio continues:
> I am starting to think that the actual solution of all this could be to
> reinstate direct At Large elections for North America only

Why? This seems non-sensical to me! Your indirect model is simply the facade
that ICANN imposed 'top down' to legitimise its own coup and keep real
individual users as far away from the Board as possible. It's the way to
marginalise the At Large. This 'indirect' model has not worked. With
respect, look at the pathetic 'graveyard' forum of ALAC. People feel no
representation or involvement, so they vote with their feet and go away.

In what way has your ALAC model of RALOs and ALS's worked in involving
individuals in ICANN's processes?

Individuals can't even be members of ALAC. Why not?

Yrs,

Richard Henderson