Re: [ga] RE: [At-Large] Virtual Conferencing

Danny Younger ha scritto:
As much as I like the idea of a few At-Large reps
traveling to ICANN meetings on ICANN's dime, I would
feel better about having a virtual environment
available wherein many around the planet could
participate simultaneously.

I think that the two things are complementary. You need people physically present at ICANN meetings, as a team, to build effective participation and to allow the At Large to have an impact, which happens by building personal relationships with the rest of the ICANN community and management, and by showing up and talking at meetings. And also, there would be benefit in setting up more effective remote participation mechanisms, for example for the Public Forum (which, honestly, looks more and more like a one-way set of presentations and less and less like an actual space for discussion).

Virtual conferencing, however, could only happen if ICANN is available to put money on appropriate staffing for the project - not just on the instruments themselves. Virtual conferences require preparation, moderation and wrap-up, and this is not something that can be expected to be run by volunteers.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...