Re: [ga] Opposition mounts to .com price hike

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Opposition mounts to .com price hike
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:28:23 -0800
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Aisenberg <maisenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

>From a purely economic basis, these price fixing hikes are bad economics

both for Verisign and consumers/potential registrants and current
registrants
in .COM.  Such a method is counter to market forces and/or represents
a forced market influence that may not be reflective of demand/supply
law.

Hence I cannot agree with setting such a graduated price hike method
for domain names in .COM as other Registries could follow suit, such
as ccTLD's ect...  This would be bad for a free and open economic
and trade policy as the US is supposed to be promoting throughout
the world.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> [...]
>
> It should come as no surprise that such opposition is intensifying
> again.
> This is NOT a new concern or debate on this and other forums.
>
> This agreement essentially allows for Verisign to impose a "Tax" of
> sorts
> disguised in legal language as a "Fee" in which Verisign can justify
> from
> a cost standpoint in future support for ICANN which had been waning
> in order to keep .COM essentially forever.
>
> Some might find this a "Good Deal" for many varied reasons others
> might find that ICANN has effectively found a round about way to
> fund it's operations at least in part without seeking donations as
> Esther
> Dyson from the early days of ICANN frequently complained about.
>
> I believe however as do most of our members that ALL TLD's are
> a public resource and as such a "Fee" or "Tax" for registration should
>
> not be charged to the registrant unless those fees are put into the
> governments
> coffers for future determined use.
>
> Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > 23rd November 2005
> > By Kevin Murphy
> >
> > Excerpt:
> >
> > A proposed deal that would let VeriSign Inc double the
> > wholesale price of a .com domain by 2012 is coming
> > under increasing amounts of criticism from consumers
> > and from the company's own channel.
> >
> > Under a deal inked in October, VeriSign agreed to
> > settle its lawsuits against ICANN, the Internet Corp
> > for Assigned Names and Numbers, in exchange for a new
> > .com registry contract that allows it to raise prices.
> >
> > The deal enables VeriSign to raise prices by 7% a year
> > starting in January 2007 through to when the contract
> > ends in 2012. If VeriSign took advantage of this every
> > year, the price of a .com would double from its
> > current $6 by the end of the term.
> >

> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=A784F389-5300-4C71-9175-2E5EAE62861B
>

> > __________________________________
> > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
> > http://farechase.yahoo.com
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeffrey A. Williams
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
>
> "Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
> Abraham Lincoln
>
> "Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is
> very often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
> ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln