[ga] RE: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  • To: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] RE: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:27:58 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: michael@xxxxxxxxxx, "'ICANN Board List'" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint,

Just the other day, Jay Westerdal, recently nominated
within the registrars constituency for service on the
NonCom, sent through this remark to the
settlement-comments forum:  "PS: If a senate committee
ever probes ICANN, please check and see how many ICANN
staff members have VRSN stock."

It is clear to me that a public perception exists that
ICANN may be guilty of laxity with respect to Staff
probity.

It's therefore fair for us to be asking the Board
whether they believe that their CEO has been running a
tight ship, and/or whether they can confirm that prior
to a major negotiation the CEO has in fact received
updated Disclosure Forms from all members of the ICANN
negotiating team -- this all falls under the general
rubric of the fiduciary requirements of Board
oversight.

No wants wants to travel down a road of infinite
regression, but in the wake of Enron and the recent
U.N. corruption scandals, we all would feel a little
bit more comfortable if we knew that the Board was
both sensitive and responsive to these concerns.

Danny