Re: [ga] Third Meeting of the Working Group on Internet Governance

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Third Meeting of the Working Group on Internet Governance
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ALAC <committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I cannot be so kind.
I am not Benidictine in my mortalitiy.
I am rude and carry a sword and a shield.
I smell like a man that has sat under a Tree for months or has sat in the desert for forty days and nights. I stink and you would not dare wash my feet.
Richard of course offers compassion and tolerance or as some say, patience and forgiveness.
Some would say he turns his cheek 7 times 70 or others would say until his son is burned before his eyes. Still others woul say until he is made God do not hate an ant.

My stupid self is just mad. And I say "I am mad as hell and I will not take it any longer" but my vengance is sweet and neat not swift and adrift.

ps. Blessed be him who assumes the role of devining what is right for a church larger than me.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

In part I agree with your concerns here Richard. But try to remember
the "Internet" is not a nation. However as such this distinction does
not
excuse Mr. Lynn from expelling the elected At-Large members from
the board. In fact the number of At-large elected members should have
been expanded and the voting method much more open and inclusive
so as to allow many more stakeholders/users to actually vote. This
would have and still should be a more democratic approach.

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Commonsense says that if ICANN would only 'internationalize' its
> mandate - that is to say, make itself accountable to democratically
> elected representatives of the internet users of every nation instead
> of being accountable to the Department of Commerce of *one* nation -
> then it could still hope to earn credibility and legitimacy in the
> eyes of people all over the world.
>
> In short, if ICANN would only stop being so 'closed' to the concept of
> an elected At Large - and restore the democratically elected
> representatives of the user community who were expelled from the ICANN
> Board - then it could start to claim a truly international mandate.
>
> Otherwise, the inevitable logic of nations that believe they have as
> much right to representation as the United States will lead to
> increasing calls for oversight of the Internet's DNS functions to be
> transferred to the United Nations and to some kind of governmental
> control.
>
> I happen to think that governmental control and the interference of
> politicians (take for example, Chinese politicians with their shining
> record on human rights, but they are not alone) is the last thing that
> the Internet needs.
>
> Therefore I would much prefer to see ICANN regain the logical and
> moral high ground, by earning *true* legitimacy and a truly
> international mandate: by severing its subordinate relationship to the
> United States DoC, and allowing the peoples of the world to
> participate in a representational oversight of their own internet.
>
> The argument that such democratic elections wouldn't work just doesn't
> wash with me. If you can invade another country in order to impose
> democracy, you can hardly in the same breath reject the democratic
> principle when it comes to an Internet which you (United States) are
> still retaining controls over.
>
> While it is true that you could hardly get the whole world to vote for
> ICANN's Board, you could at least get interested individuals to do so.
> This was demonstrated when 100,000 people from around the world voted
> in the last At Large elections to the ICANN Board. There is absolutely
> no reason why this number could not be developed and increased many
> times over. The risks of block voting and vote-rigging could be
> contained by containing the number of people that any one particular
> nation or region could vote for. Nothing is perfect, but it would be a
> whole lot more perfect than the present At Large of about 10 active
> members, non-elected, non-accountable, merely appointed by America's
> quango's board. How is that better than democracy?
>
> The other thing is that once you have a democratic process and people
> recognise that their representatives are actually accountable to
> *them* - and once you really involve people and enable them to
> contribute to policy and determine policy by their votes, then you
> begin to see the extension of participation, and you will have
> [...]

Pierre Abelard

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827