Re: [ga] Story Behind .ASIA - The shell game is afoot...

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Story Behind .ASIA - The shell game is afoot...
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: Ram Mohan <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Seng <jseng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That ain't even the half of it. Jeff remember that guy Cochetti (sp) and that gal Cade. Well we usually did not like what they were up to, but at least they gave the good god damn to talk to us about it. Even Alvetrand and Vint. And that lady Leah filled us in.
But this feller is telling us to pound sand, and that really pisses me off.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard and all,

Good factual review points here Richard. I amongst a number of our
members remember these many transgressions and attempted frauds
perpetrated by Afilias as well. Some of our members were victims
of some of Afilias's mismanagement. Yet the ICANN BoD did nothing,
nor did DOC/NTIA...

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Yes perhaps,
>
> But unfortunately Afilias does *not* have a record of outstanding rectitude.
>
> I refer you to the breaches of contract implicit in the $500,000 Speednames
> (member of the Afilias cartel of registrars) charged Konrad Plankenstein to
> register 4981 invalid domain names through Afilias. (Won't go into the fact
> that Tina Dam, the current ICANN Registry Manager, had oversight for
> Speedname's introduction of .info at the time!!!). I also refer you to the
> William Lorenz case, where DomainBank (um... Hal Lubsen) charged $15000 to
> submit .info Sunrise domains in breach of the Afilias contract, and Afilias
> (um... also Hal Lubsen) went ahead and registered them, even though they
> lacked the mandatory data fields required by ICANN's Agreement. Or I could
> refer you to the delightful Govinda Leopold (1stDomain.net) who was an
> Afilias Director, but submitted domains for application in breach of
> Afilias's own rules (eg fake trademarks). I refer you to Afilias's various
> accredited registrars like Yesnic who faked 100s of false trademarks to get
> Sunrise names which were subsequently confiscated by WIPO. I refer you as
> well to the abandonment of the 1000s of Landrush customers as a result of
> Afilias's mismanagement, a failure of responsibility which resigning Afilias
> Director Robert Connelly described in disgust as the "Sunrise abomination".
>
> I will give you credit, Ram, that you helped to pick up the pieces for
> Afilias - and you were actually open and responsive at that stage - but of
> course both you and Afilias were engaged in a massive damage limitation
> exercise.
>
> I have never trusted Afilias since that day, and nor have thousands of other
> people who lost hundreds of thousands of pounds (and it probably ran to
> millions) as a result of the collapse of Afilias's Sunrise process and their
> refusal to protect the interests of the honest participants in Landrush 1.
>
> Why then should Afilias be trusted to operate .asia with anything other than
> self-interest in mind?
>
> Yrs,
>
> Richard Henderson

Pierre Abelard

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827