[ga] has someone read the ICANN strategic plan

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] has someone read the ICANN strategic plan
  • From: "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:39:18 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I printed the ICANN Strategic Plan. And read most of it. I fully understand this document has bored many as it mostly repeats and repeats and repeats what some may like, and others consider as biaised or outdated points of view and objectives.

This is a very long descriptions of a lack of real service, a real pride of a lack of innovation. As if the longer the blahblah the more the budget increase will be accepted. As if one wanted to demonstrate the ICANN calls for a three people staff (to permit them to go on vacations).

This being said, I am surprised no one comments here the global error of discussing a production tool and its management in forgetting that it does not belong to its "stakeholders" and of never discussing its users needs, te evolution of their demand while they also are its owners. All the more than the big change of the network technologies is that users can also be standardizers and developpers (NATs, VoIP, P2P ..). One has the real feeling that the ICANN a-prioris (due to "values" voted by no one but tentatively imposed to everyone) will either limitate the world development for a long period, or will force to the balkanization of the internet.

There is certainly a lack of imagination, which is at this level is a professional fault - unless it is intended? But one also has the constant feeling that this is a "shaping the world" attitude, an evangelization rather than a service, with a total disregard for the people, but not for their money. Yet that at the same time one feels this is a petty money wasted for everyone?

Sad.
jfcm