Re: [ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back in about 2001 there was a great debate about the nature of a property right in a domain name. I remember it had two facets to it. One was started through the WG-Review and the other through something called IDNO or something. Neither was concluded satisfactorily. I believe court cases will show just as much confusion and lack of an industry standard, as do contracts and probate. Perhaps it has evolved further but history and archives may prevent rehashing of obvious conclusions. Certainly the rights are different between say, Communist Countries, Muslim Countries, Civil Law, Confuscianism and Common Law. Without an Industry Standard we are hard pressed to resolve the issue.
eric

George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In case folks didn't read the entire message (it was long), the
amendment of NSI's registrant agreement to include:

"You agree that we may, but are not obligated to, allow you to renew
your domain name after its expiration date has passed."

should hopefully get your attention. Now go and read all of the
changes, archived in the prior post, visible at:

http://www.opensrs.org/archives/discuss-list/0409/0081.html

I'm surprised NSI's lawyers used the language "your domain name" in the
contract....they act in every way as if the domains truly belong to
NSI!

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/