Re: [ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it is important to note this spamming element here. While a domain name may be registered to an individual for around $13 - $150 - $00 (cctld - gtld) I think we find that cutting out the highs and lows most are around $15 total cost. However a contact for a lead with the information on a registration is often sold to marketers for @$20 a piece.
It does not take a mathematical genius to figure what side of the bread Twomeys sandwich is buttered on.
So look at the switching of domain name registrants from this angle and you will see that changing the information for whatever reason means another lead generated and the production of revenue above that of the cost of registering. or in otherwords- Who cares about the use of a domain name? It is the registrants private information that is valuable.

Eric

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
George and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

I will be interested in hearing how and in what fashion Versign will
give a "Smakback" to Twomey... Given that Dr. Twomey's previous
position to his tenure thus far with ICANN was with Telstra, one of the
worst spam generating ISP's in the southern Pacific area, it seems rather
obvious that any "Smackdown" he may consider or actually try to implement
will not have the ethical or creditable impact he may believe it should or
will have...

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's ironic that NSI is doing this just as Paul Twomey has been
> interviewed in the press a lot recently, trumpeting the Redemption
> Grace Period as one of the successes of ICANN:
>
> http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040920/asp/business/story_3779403.asp
>
> "ICANN president and CEO Paul Twomey said, ?We have administered a
> breather space for generic names like dot com, but not for the country
> code. Most of the registrations are now for two years and, to use a
> legal term, it is like a leasehold with redemption and a grace period.
> If the name expires, you can actually redeem the name within a 30-day
> grace period."
>
> NSI is simply slapping ICANN (and their domain registrants) in the face
> with their brazen move. I'd love to be the fly on the wall when Dr.
> Twomey makes the phone call to NSI on Monday, to lay the smackdown upon
> them....
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Pierre Abelard

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827