[ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, discuss-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: NSI & Expired domain names -- violation of consensus deletions policy??
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: halloran@xxxxxxxxx, jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, twomey@xxxxxxxxx, icann@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

It's ironic that NSI is doing this just as Paul Twomey has been
interviewed in the press a lot recently, trumpeting the Redemption
Grace Period as one of the successes of ICANN:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040920/asp/business/story_3779403.asp

"ICANN president and CEO Paul Twomey said, ?We have administered a
breather space for generic names like dot com, but not for the country
code. Most of the registrations are now for two years and, to use a
legal term, it is like a leasehold with redemption and a grace period.
If the name expires, you can actually redeem the name within a 30-day
grace period."

NSI is simply slapping ICANN (and their domain registrants) in the face
with their brazen move. I'd love to be the fly on the wall when Dr.
Twomey makes the phone call to NSI on Monday, to lay the smackdown upon
them....

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/