[ga] Call it what you will

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Call it what you will
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am finding nothing in the ICANN amendments or policies that disbands or sunsets the GA of ICANN. Certainly a resolution cannot do it. In fact it seems quite the opposite;
Section   5 of http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-13oct03.htm the latest version states in part 9;
9. Upon the adoption of this Transition Article, and until further action by the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council shall assume responsibility for the DNSO General Assembly e-mail announcement and discussion lists.

Hmm, but that seems to suggest a few important details,

1. The archives are supposed to be maintained.

2. Announcements are to be posted here.

3. The GA may organize itself.

4. The GA is to be a place of discussion.

5. There are no restrictions on matters to be discussed and no protocol as to how decisions made here are to be reported.

I would suggest organizing the GA into discussion and opinions and reports as a shadow of the ICANN structure;

http://www.icann.org/general/org-chart-12jan04.gif

So it seems that ICANN has not blocked GA involvement but simply left it up to participants to organize from the bottom up in a truly open and transparent and free manner. A good out for all concerned participants.

Eric