Re: [ga] Essential part of Outreach

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Essential part of Outreach
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:37:09 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/use

  Exotic locals for ICANN meetings as you say does not necessarily
for good outreach.  However there is a benefit to such offer for new
or existing members in regards to "outreach".  Such local's is a good
come on all be it the result may be a mixed bag of new members
expecting such meeting to always or on most occasions be heed
in exotic places.  Therefor leaving one to wonder if such promises
are to be continued to be effected and true to be a wise and prudent
thing to do...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I find this disconcerting. Perhaps it is good that I do.
> What kind of Outreach is this; http://www.icann.org/meetings/ ?
>
> It looks too familiar to recruiting posters for sales positions - "Our
> ten hundred club members get free vacations to all these exotic
> locations - all you need do is sell 30 of your closest friends"
>
> I have some bad news for ICANN, cruise ships pulling into
> underdeveloped nations for two days of revelry do not create Outreach.
> Closed Meetings without any marketing dollars regarding what is going
> on does not endear one to a region. Remember a sponsoring country pays
> for ICANN to come not the other way around. Therefor what happens with
> these meetings - outsiders buy their way in, ICANN does not buy its'
> way in.
> Remember also ICANN does not pay for realtime translators and
> equipment in the country to which they visit, as is the common
> practice and industry norm, they must normally even check a box when
> setting up their meeting that says NO translation services.
>
> This would seem to be to be a problem. My tax advisor says that
> companies that pay to attend can no longer write the trips off as
> donated to a not-for-profit. That the filings are not in order and
> charge backs against corporations are occuring in the quarterlies.
>
> Eric

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS