[ga] Essential part of Outreach

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Essential part of Outreach
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I find this disconcerting. Perhaps it is good that I do.
What kind of Outreach is this; http://www.icann.org/meetings/ ?

It looks too familiar to recruiting posters for sales positions - "Our ten hundred club members get free vacations to all these exotic locations - all you need do is sell 30 of your closest friends"

I have some bad news for ICANN, cruise ships pulling into underdeveloped nations for two days of revelry do not create Outreach. Closed Meetings without any marketing dollars regarding what is going on does not endear one to a region. Remember a sponsoring country pays for ICANN to come not the other way around. Therefor what happens with these meetings - outsiders buy their way in, ICANN does not buy its' way in.
Remember also ICANN does not pay for realtime translators and equipment in the country to which they visit, as is the common practice and industry norm, they must normally even check a box when setting up their meeting that says NO translation services.

This would seem to be to be a problem. My tax advisor says that companies that pay to attend can no longer write the trips off as donated to a not-for-profit. That the filings are not in order and charge backs against corporations are occuring in the quarterlies.

Eric