Re: [ga] Re: New mailing list: icann-people.

Stephane

What archives?

No archives have been published since April

I find it disappointing and almost offensive that you dismiss the GA list
when in fact it has at least remained 'open', and I and others have
earnestly and seriously attempted to make informed comments and ask
challenging questions. It doesn't take long to sift through the spam and
junk, and speaking personally I have spent hundreds of hours preparing posts
to this list because I believe in *open* dialogue.

These same posts have been taken seriously at ICANNWatch where they have
been accepted for publication, at Circle ID, on various blogs, and by Miriam
Sapiro who produced the recent NewTLDs Evaluation report (we exchanged about
25 e-mails and many of my inputs were partial transcripts of messages I
first posted on this GA list.)

The GA list had continued to be an archive of various and sometimes opposing
views of ICANN's policies... until the archive was cut off in April.

ICANN has a history of dismissing critical opinion, and avoiding open
dialogue. Over 2 years after submitting concerns to ICANN about NewTLD
process (points now picked up on by Miriam Sapiro), and re-submitting them
direct to Paul Twomey, I have never received even an acknowledgement of
receipt.

That is the kind of organisation you are dealing with.

In such a context, I believe the GA list has at times provided a focus for
dissent and legitimate critical opinions and concerns.

So I feel that you are being too dismissive, Stephane.

The real issue is not the junk and spam, but ICANN's opaque operations,
ICANN's evasion of openness, ICANN's lack of mandate, ICANN's expulsion of
elected At Large members from the ICANN Board, ICANN's willingness to
preside over abused processes, ICANN's craven subservience to USG, ICANN's
relationship with vested interests, ICANN's symbiotic relationship with
related participants in the DNS industry.

A list controlled or cut off at will by ICANN (or Thomas Roessler) is hardly
sufficient bastion against ICANN's repeated top-down autocracy.

But the GA-list has, at least, provided a focus at times for critical
opinions and divergent views.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson