[ga] Unhealthy Forest

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Unhealthy Forest
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:39:14 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So I stole this from an article on CircleID;

"Meng Wong: He's right. To explain, I need to talk about forests.

Normally, healthy forests have lightning strikes that lead to fires every few years. Those fires don't kill trees; the leaves of mature trees are out of reach, so the fires just burn up the dead matter sitting on the forest floor. Small, frequent fires are good for forests. The burned matter reenters the ecological cycle, and new seeds sprout. But wildfires are bad for forests: when fires are suppressed for too long, dead matter builds up for decades, and when it does burn it destroys entire ecosystems."

I know a great Public Health official, that even went so far as to apply this to famines and disease amoung herds and humans.
Certainly although Meng Wong is referring to SMTP matters this analogy holds true to Whois and IPv6. And clearly it is dead on regarding ICANN.

Eric