Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

On 9 Aug 2003 at 4:08, Jim Ayson wrote:

> At 02:32 PM 8/6/2003 -0400, L. Gallegos wrote:
>
> > > 1) Who will decide of the redelegation of a ccTLD? Especially in
> > > complicated cases like a fight between two local groups? This is not a
> > > clerical process, it is a political one, by essence.
> >
> >If an existing manager is doing its job, there would be no change.  A
> >local fight doesn't change the rules.  If a government nationalizes
> >private industry and takes over businesses, there is little or no choice
> >since governments may do this whether we like it or not.  At that point,
> >the "local group" no longer exists and the government prevails.
>
> Interesting discussion. What if members of the local Internet community
> believes the existing ccTLD manager is not doing a good job - and the local
> government doesn't give a hoot about Internet issues? Where does the
> community go to air its grievances?

IANA, if the ccTLD is not functioning according to guidelines.

Where would one go to air grievances against any business?    Why is a
ccTLD different from any other business - profit or non-profit?  At what
point would a governing agency step in?  I'm  thinking non-regulated
industries and private vs governement entrerprises.

Some ccTLDs do not allow personal registrations; some do not allow any
private registrations; some are open to all comers.  Those decisions are
not made by IANA, but by the managers or governments, depending on how
those ccTLDs are held.  It should not be a simple task to unseat a ccTLD
manager, IMO.  It should not be difficult to set up an opposing  or
additional TLD either.  I think that is more of an issue than unseating an
existing manager.

> Also in the case of the number of individuals who were appointed by Postel
> to run ccTLDs (and there are still a number of them), what happens if one
> of them gets hit by a bus? Who decides who the new ccTLD manager is?

Then IANA should issue a RFP for a new manager and consider only the
guidelines in considering the replacement.

Answer:  Define the IANA non-discriminatory, apolitical, technical
guidelines, but keep it out of the hands of ICANN where ccTLDs are
concerned.