Re: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:05:53 -0800

George and all,

  I also have never and still do not support ICANN providing any
funding for anyone other than ICANN staff and officers/board members
to meetings or other junkets.  Constituencies can pass the hat as it
were, to collect whatever funding for travel that may be necessary
or appropriate.

  Further, ICANN's commitment to remote participation has been
and remains far less than reasonable or feasible at low of no cost
to ICANN.  That fact only points to the thought that ICANN desires
to limit to the extent possible any form of stakeholder participation.
As to why this situation has been tolorated by DOC/NTIA and/or
constituency members and other stakeholders is beyond my
 or any reasonable persons understanding.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The fellowship program is only an issue because ICANN has been
> > insisting that it didn't have enough monies to fund GNSO Council
> > member travel expenses.
>
> I've not supported ICANN directly funding travel expenses. It's been
> demonstrated that they make little effort to get the lowest possible
> fares or hotel rates, etc. If any funds are to be allocated, they
> should go directly to the constituencies, who can then ensure that the
> funds are spent wisely (e.g. perhaps lowering constituency fees, paying
> for secretariats, etc. is a better use than funding travel junkets).
>
> Remote participation continues to be crude, in this age when there are
> low cost tools like ustream.tv or Webex, etc. Many might save the
> bother and expense of travel if they could get the job done remotely,
> working from their home or office, instead of participating in the road
> shows as an Oath of Fealty to their ICANN lords.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fealty
>
> It would also enable broader participation. The continued lack of a
> GNSO mailing list open only to members of constituencies, in order to
> foster cross-constituency communications  in a high signal to noise
> environment, is also telling.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.leap.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827