Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, DHS Julie Myers <Julie.myers@xxxxxxx>, ICANN registry comments <registryservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:18:19 -0700

Joe and all,

  Exactly right!  And so the ICANN/IANA sad saga continues,
approaching 10 years now.  >:(  Kinda reminds me again of the
S&L scandal, and recently the Bear Sterns fiasco, now ongoing
and under investigation, as it should be.

  And has the .EDU registry awarded to the first CEO of ICANN,
one Mike Roberts, cleaned up it's pornography and child pornography
domains up yet?  Answer, no!  Will the RAA contracts be amended
to ensure that this is the Registries and Registrars dutiful
responsibility?
According to statements of Roberto, no.  So whom is going to step
up and take responsibility?  Well certainly no one at ICANN, that's
for sure.  Is this reasonable or legally tenable?  I don't think so!
Should it be continually tolerated?  NO!  and why hasn't DOC/NTIA
taken corrective action in accordance with the MOU?  I haven't
a clue!  Should they?  Yes, I believe they should, and should have
long ago now...

Joe Baptista wrote:

> Sorry - I send that out in mid sentence.  I continue from where i left
> off ....
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Joe
> Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>           "The group responsible for maintaining the
>           internet's most popular domain name software BIND
>           has admitted it caused problems by fast-tracking a
>           security patch designed to fix the widescale DNS
>           flaw discovered by researcher Dan Kaminsky this
>           month."
>
>           http://
>
> ww.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/DNS-patch-causes-BIND-blunder/0,130061744,339290928,00.htm
>
>      what else is new.  the one thing vixie has excelled at is
>      the perpetual BIND excuses.  the patch may be unstable - but
>      thats more in the tradition of BIND which is historically
>      unstable.  As long as I can remember back to bind version 4
>      thats been the story.
>
>      But the problem is the vulnerabilities are very real and
>      very serious.  The solution however is not ....
>

> .... DNSSEC - that is not going to save us.  Its only going to cause
> more problems.  The Chinese are not going to have anything to do with
> it.  There not going to be enslaved by the USG / ICANN / IANA joke.
>
> Solutions however do exist.  Problem is they are a bit expensive to
> implement.
>
> cheers
> joe baptista
>

>      regards
>      joe baptista
>
>      --
>      Joe Baptista
>      www.publicroot.org
>      PublicRoot Consortium
>      ---------------------
>      ------------------------------------------
>      The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive,
>      Representative & Accountable to the Internet community
>      @large.
>      -------
>      --------------------------------------------------------
>      Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
>      Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084
>

> --
> Joe Baptista
> www.publicroot.org
> PublicRoot Consortium
> The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive,
> Representative & Accountable to the Internet community @large.
> Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
> Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827