Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole

  • To: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:09:08 -0400

Sorry - I send that out in mid sentence.  I continue from where i left off

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>> "The group responsible for maintaining the internet's most popular domain
>> name software BIND has admitted it caused problems by fast-tracking a
>> security patch designed to fix the widescale DNS flaw discovered by
>> researcher Dan Kaminsky this month."
>>

>> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/DNS-patch-causes-BIND-blunder/0,130061744,339290928,00.htm
>>

> what else is new.  the one thing vixie has excelled at is the perpetual
> BIND excuses.  the patch may be unstable - but thats more in the tradition
> of BIND which is historically unstable.  As long as I can remember back to
> bind version 4 thats been the story.
>
> But the problem is the vulnerabilities are very real and very serious.  The
> solution however is not ....

.... DNSSEC - that is not going to save us.  Its only going to cause more
problems.  The Chinese are not going to have anything to do with it.  There
not going to be enslaved by the USG / ICANN / IANA joke.

Solutions however do exist.  Problem is they are a bit expensive to
implement.

cheers
joe baptista