Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole

  • To: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Apple Still Has Not Patched the DNS Hole
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:05:33 -0400

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Patrick Vande Walle <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Sometimes, it may be wise to wait:
>
> "The group responsible for maintaining the internet's most popular domain
> name software BIND has admitted it caused problems by fast-tracking a
> security patch designed to fix the widescale DNS flaw discovered by
> researcher Dan Kaminsky this month."
>

> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/DNS-patch-causes-BIND-blunder/0,130061744,339290928,00.htm

what else is new.  the one thing vixie has excelled at is the perpetual BIND
excuses.  the patch may be unstable - but thats more in the tradition of
BIND which is historically unstable.  As long as I can remember back to bind
version 4 thats been the story.

But the problem is the vulnerabilities are very real and very serious.  The
solution however is not DN

regards
joe baptista

--