Re: [ga] Rogue (Fraudulent) DNS Servers?

  • To: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Rogue (Fraudulent) DNS Servers?
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 02:38:39 -0800

Matthew Pemble wrote:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/11/DNS-attack-could-signal-Phishing-2.0_1.html

The researchers estimate that there are 17 million open-recursive DNS
servers

If you are running Bind it is possible to create "views" that will, I believe, defeat this concern. (Of course, if the underlying OS is Windoz all bets are off.)

On my own resolvers I have an external view in which my resolvers will answer queries only for names for which my servers are authoritative. Unless a query source qualifies for my internal view, below, it gets the external treatment - which means that if you ask one of my servers for some j-random name that isn't one of mine it'll tell you to go pound sand.

I have an internal view which is available to machines on my address blocks (and a few others). In that view my resolvers will do a lookup on any query name.

It's not too hard to set this up - bit not trivial. For example, take a look at http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind-template.html

                --karl--