Re: [council] MOTION REFERRING TO THE GNSO COUNCIL OPERATIONS PROCEDURES WORK TEAM (GCOT) RECOMMENDATIONS

Hi

On Nov 17, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Here’s one example:  Some people may not receive any direct financial benefit
> from participation in GNSO work but they might receive recognition that
> promotes their reputation and stature in the activities that they are
> involved in whether that be in academia, in civil society, in government, or
> whatever.  They also may be elevated in stature in groups that appreciate
> efforts they make to promote certain positions those groups advocate.

Ah.  So there's an unwritten definition that maps with the deleted text.  And
unlike the DOI mechanism, failure to comply with the unwritten rule can result
in suspension.  Mildly Kafkaesque...

Like the proxy provision, this really makes no sense to me.  Leave aside the
fact that serving on the Council usually would not count for beans in an
academic setting, and indeed would more likely be held against someone in a
conventional academic evaluation where engagement in policy or other earthly
matters is regarded as a distraction from real work.   Leave aside too the
parallel situation in civil society, where serving on Council would be regarded
by many as evidence one's been compromised, corrupted, etc (a reality in
various CS settings, e.g. IGF…we are suspect in the eyes of many).  Even if
these weren't true and being on Council really did translate into being
"elevated" in some way, then a) this would seem to apply to all Councilors, in
which case what's the purpose of the individual declaration; b) it's not
obvious how the prospect of elevation would relate to one's specific
substantive judgement on anything, since presumably we'd enjoy equal fame and
glory whether we vote for or against doing work prioritization and related
initiatives; and c) I have no idea how to correctly state an "indirect
interest...that may affect, or be perceived to affect" my judgment, not being
privy at the front end to how unknown persons may someday choose to perceive or
claim to perceive something I said.

Mary and I have just been reelected by the NCSG membership so this would be an
apt time to make any necessary revisions to my SOI.  If someone from GCOT or
elsewhere could please provide me with specific guidance on how I should revise
http://gnso.icann.org/council/soi/drake-soi-17nov08.html in order to avoid the
possibility of maybe someday running afoul of unwritten rules based on
someone's possible perception, I would really appreciate the help.  In the
meanwhile I will vote against the motion to approve this.

Thanks,

Bill