Minutes GNSO Council Meeting 20 July 2012

Last Updated: 27 August 2012
Date: 
20 July 2012

Agenda and Documents

The meeting started at 11:04 UTC.

List of attendees:

https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/GNSO+Council+Meeting-+20+July+2012

NCA – Non Voting - Carlos Dionisio Aguirre
Contracted Parties House Registrar Stakeholder Group: Stéphane van Gelder, Yoav Keren, Mason Cole
gTLD Registries Stakeholder Group: Jeff Neuman, Jonathan Robinson, Ching Chiao,
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Thomas Rickert

Non-Contracted Parties House Commercial Stakeholder Group (CSG): Zahid Jamil, John Berard, David Taylor, Brian Winterfeldt, Osvaldo Novoa,  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – absent, proxy to Osvaldo Novoa
Non Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG): Mary Wong, Joy Liddicoat, Wendy Seltzer, Wolfgang Kleinwächter, Rafik Dammak – absent, Bill Drake- absent
Nominating Committee Appointee (NCA): Lanre Ajayi

GNSO Council Liaisons/Observers Alan Greenberg – ALAC Liaison
Han Chuan Lee – ccNSO Observer

ICANN Staff David Olive- VP Policy Development,
Rob Hoggarth - Senior Policy Director,
Margie Milam - Senior Policy Counselor
Julie Hedlund - Policy Director
Marika Konings - Senior Policy Director,
Brian Peck - Senior Policy Director,
Berry Cobb – Policy consultant
Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat
Nathalie Peregrine – GNSO Secretariat assistant
Alexander Kulik – Systems Engineer

Guest:
Mikey O'Connor – Fake Renewal Working Group chair

MP3 Recording
Adobe Chat Transcript
Transcript

Item 1: Administrative matters

1.1 Roll Call

1.2 Statement of interest updates
No updates noted

1.3 Review/amend agenda

Move item 6 to follow item 2.

1.4. Note the status of minutes for the previous Council meeting per the GNSO Operating Procedures: Minutes of the GNSO Council meeting 27 June 2012 will be approved on 30 July 2012.

1.5. GNSO Pending Projects List
http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/pending-projects-list.pdf

Stéphane van Gelder reminded the Council to review the main changes and comment on the Council mailing list.

Item 2: Consent agenda

Stéphane van Gelder mentioned that the Standing Committee on GNSO  Improvements Implementation (SCI) has reached consensus on the proposed procedure for a consent agenda and the proposed language currently out for public comment, will be incorporated in the GNSO Operating Procedures.

Item 6: Next Steps for Defensive Registrations

Brian Peck provided Council with an overview of the briefing paper staff delivered to the GNSO Council on the topic of defensive registrations at the second level in response to a request from the New GLTD Committee (2012.04.10.NG2) which requests the GNSO to consider whether additional work on defensive registrations at the second level should be undertaken.

Highlights from the discussion:

Terminology should be clear, with regard to defensive applications / defensive registrations, second or top level domains, whether the focus on the current round, future rounds or both, what level of protection is being sought,.

The Business Constituency expressed disappointment that their suggestion to extend the trademark clearinghouse claim notice beyond the existing period was not taken up in the briefing paper.

Action needs to be taken quickly and an expert group was suggested.

Opening a public comment period is not a good idea.

An expedited motion at a special meeting may send the wrong message to the community as to the prioritization of this item or other work items. Substantively there is some overlap among other second level issues before Council.

In terms of workload management an amalgamated or consolidated approach makes sense.

Staff suggested that the topic could be dealt with in the Issues Report on IGO's that is currently out for public comment.

Possible options going forward:

  • Calling for a simple public comment period,
  • Calling for a public comment period including blending the IGO work with this track
  • Requesting an issue report and launching a policy development process,
  • Following a procedure similar to the Special Trademark Issues (STI) mechanism

Action Item:

Counsellors are encourage to continue the discussion on the Council mailing list as there was no clear consensus reached in determining the next the steps forward.

Item 3: Final Elections procedure

The Council adopted the elections procedure
http://gnso.icann.org/en/elections/gnso-council-chair-election-2012-20jul12-en.pdf
and each house is asked to submit its nominee for Council chair for the term beginning at the end of the 2012 ICANN annual meeting not later than 26 September 2012. Nominees shall submit a candidacy statement in writing to the GNSO Secretariat (gnso.secretariat@gnso.icann.org) as soon as possible after they have been selected by their house and not later than 22:00 UTC on 28 September 2012.

Action Item:

  • Stéphane van Gelder to contact the Nominating Committee chair for confirmation that the positions on the Council of the Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO Council will be designated by the Nominating Committee itself.

Item 4: Thick Whois PDP

As the .com agreement has now been renewed Council agreed to launch the policy development process (PDP) and not wait until November as stated in the March 2012 Council resolution 20120314-1.

Action Item

Call for participation in the Drafting Team to develop a charter for the PDP Working Group.

Council was advised that the following volunteers have indicated their interest in joining the drafting team:
Elisa Cooper and Susan Kawaguchi  from the Commercial and Business Users Constituency (CBUC),
Jonathan Zuck and Steve Metalitz from the Intellectual Property Constituency  (IPC).

Item 5: Whois Review Team Final Report

Margie Milam provided the Council with a brief overview of the recommendations in the Whois Review Team Final Report.
Different views were expressed and in general it was felt that there were some recommendations that might need a policy development process.

Action Item:

The GNSO Council should provide a written response to the ICANN Board by 31 August 2012.  An initial draft of the letter should be sent to the Council mailing list for further discussion before the letter is approved and sent to the Board.
Brian Winterfeldt, as the lead assisted by Wendy Seltzer and Thomas Rickert, volunteered to draft the initial response which will be sent to the Council mailing list for comments.

Item 7: Fake Renewal Notices  

Mikey O'Connor provided Council with an overview of the updated Fake Renewal Notices Report

The Whois Data Reminder Policy was mentioned and although it was not a topic for discussion, it was noted that it raises vulnerability issues.

Action Item:

Mason Cole volunteered to confer with the Registrar Stakeholder Group and find out what solutions the Registrars can offer to deal with bad actors and return to the Council with proposals for options, or solutions, or next steps on this issue.

Item 8: Internationalised Registration Data WG Final Report

Julie Hedlund provided a brief overview of the recommendations in the Internationalised Registration Data Final Report in light of providing to the Board its advice with regard to those recommendations that may have policy implications".

Action Item:

Send a letter from the GNSO chair to the ICANN Board requesting the implementation plan time-lines and clarifying that any policy implications in implementing the recommendations will have to be considered by the GNSO Council. Ching Chiao volunteered to draft the letter and send it to the Council mailing list for comments.

It was suggested that the draft letter be placed on the consent agenda for the next Council meeting.

Item 9: GNSO Review

Rob Hoggarth provided the Council with a brief overview of the Review process.

Action Item:

Form a small informal group to examine possible actions ahead of the 2013 ICANN bylaws-mandated review. Wolfgang Kleinwächter volunteered along with Stéphane van Gelder, Bill Drake, Zahid Jamil and Wendy Seltzer volunteered to participate in the group. The group should decide on a leader.

Others interested in joining the group should indicate their desire to participate on the Council mailing list.

Item 10: Management of work

Deferred to the next Council meeting.

Stéphane van Gelder reminded the Council of the proposed dates for the next Council meetings: 27 August, Monday at 15:00 UTC., 20 September, Thursday at 20:00 UTC., 17 October, Wednesday at 14:00 Local time (18:00 UTC) and asked Councillors to comment on the Council mailing list.

Stéphane van Gelder adjourned the GNSO Public Council meeting and thanked everyone for their participation.

The meeting was adjourned at 13:10 UTC.

The next GNSO Public Council meeting to be decided  2012 at 15:00 UTC.
See: Calendar