ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[whois-sc]

[whois-sc] Accuracy as an issue area

  • To: <whois-sc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [whois-sc] Accuracy as an issue area
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:14:45 +1000
  • Sender: owner-whois-sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marilyn,

> I understand Steve Metalitz' suggestion and consider it a
> better approach to focus on Issue 5. It is consistent with
> the prioritization undertaken by the group.

It is my current understanding that issue 5 is the first task of Task
force 2.
Task force 2 may have a one year duration, as it works through a work
program of other tasks that were identified din the original WHOIS
Privacy report.

It would seem that we should have a separate teleconference to discuss
the other priority issue of accuracy.  I would prefer that we create a
separate terms of reference for accuracy (task force 3).  The GNSO
Council may decide to combine task force 3 with 2, but let's at least
work on the priority issues of:
- Data mining (relating to misuse for marketing)
- Registrant knowledge of data collection and distribution practices
(relating to privacy)
- Accuracy
as distinct issue areas.

With regard to accuracy there are two distinct issues
- verification of data at time of collection
- maintenance of data over time

The recent WHOIS task force resulted in an improvement in maintenance
(the WHOIS data reminder policy), but no outcome as yet on improved
verification at time of data collection.

I will schedule a separate teleconference to focus on the accuracy
issue.

Perhaps Steve in addition to his suggestions for task force 2, could
review my first attempt at a task force 3 and consider what a separate
task force on accuracy might look like.

Regards,
Bruce