[registrars] Agenda for Paris

  • To: "'Nevett, Jonathon'" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Agenda for Paris
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:47:24 -0700
  • Cc: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jon,

At some point I hope we can schedule the constituency meeting so that it isn't on the same day as the registry constituency meeting.

There are some technical issues that I'd like to see on the agenda, a few minutes each should suffice for the face-to-face portion of the Constituency's ongoing process:

1. whether we have any interest in the latest fix for, or adding new bells and whistles to, IDN, 2. whether we have any interest in fixing and/or adding new bells and whistles to EPP,
   3. any other technical business

I'll provide the latest mechanism that Mozilla is about to field (in six to eight weeks) to respond to what they evaluate as a misuse of cookies and the DNS. At the moment it is something called the "Public Suffix List" which is compiled into Firefox (and equivalents in other browsers too) which identifies the second-level namespaces. Mostly this doesn't affect com/net/org, but there are (and I expect there will be more) gtld registries which sell second-level names, so while the presenting problem (cross-site user tracking via undisclosed linked HTTP cookies) is more a ccTLD phenomena, eventually the browser mechanism (static list with updates or some choice of discovery mechanism) will be of interest to vendors of gTLD namespaces.

The proposal of the moment (subject to furious discourse on both the dnsop and http-wg lists) is at the following URL:
    http://publicsuffix.org/list/

No agenda time is necessary for the Mozilla thing, I'll just dump 50 copies of whatever I write up on the pick-up table, and I'll keep it to one page.

See you in Paris,
Eric